The LCWA was formed in 2008 by The Chamber of Commerce of West Alabama as a key initiative and mechanism by which to fight local and regional illiteracy. We serve a 9 county region to include: Tuscaloosa, Lamar, Fayette, Pickens, Bibb, Greene, Hale, Perry, and Sumter. Literacy is fundamentally an economic development strategy, as well as a human development strategy. Specifically, improved literacy increases tax revenue, decreases the cost of social services, reduces crime, increases health, and offers a qualified workforce to current and prospective employers. The Literacy Council of West Alabama defines literacy broadly. It includes numeracy, as well as reading and writing. It includes literacies in particular technical domains, such as financial, health, media and computer literacy. It includes the literacy education of the very young, of people who have grown up without having learned to read and write, and of retirees engaged in lifelong learning. It includes literacy education for those in school and out. It includes literacy as practiced in the workplace, the professions, and in government agencies. It includes the literacy necessary for effective civic action. We view literacy as the foundation for prosperity for an individual and a community and the foundation of America’s democracy.
The mission of the Literacy Council of West Alabama is to provide services and information to improve the lives of children, adults, families and communities in West Alabama.
Our vision is to build a region in which each person is provided the opportunity to function to a greater level within society.
- Improving Quality of Life.
- Encouraging Employment and Economic Development.
- Enhancing Safety and Knowledge.
2016 Literacy Council Board of Directors
- Chairman – Brenda Ryan, Hale County Board of Education, Retired
- Treasurer – Jim Johnson, Synovus Mortgage
- Secretary – Nancy McDonald, Bevill State Community College
- Vice Chair of Development – Sonny Ryan, Hale County Judge, Retired
- Vice Chair of Programs- Dr. Evelyn Jenkins Gunn, Stillman College Board of Trustees
- Vice Chair of Public Relations and Marketing – Vickie Davis, Southland Benefit Solutions
- Vice Chair for Service Providers- Dr. Fran Turner, Shelton State Community College
- Ruby Bennett, Project BETHEL
- Lucy Box, former member of Lamar County School Board
- Chris Brubeck, Nucor Steel
- Jamie Dykes, Wyatt Brothers Wholesale
- Rick Freemon, Executive Director,Tuscaloosa Public Library
- Janet Griffith, University of Alabama, Retired
- Nelda Hudgins, Pickens County Library Cooperative
- Phillip Johnson, Director of Adult Education, Shelton State Community College
- Felecia Jones, Black Belt Community Foundation
- Robert Lake, Randall-Reilly Publishing
- Chris Spencer, UA Community Affairs
- Tricia Stone, Walker 360
- Dr. Ed Williams, UA Department of Theatre and Dance, Retired
- Julia Williams, HERO, Retired
Our offices are located on the C.A. Fredd Campus of Shelton State Community College, in the Adult Education Building, Suite 210. Our office is typically open from 8:00am-12:00pm Monday through Friday.
Literacy Council of West Alabama
3401 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd., Suite 210
Tuscaloosa, AL 35401
Office: 205-391- 2612
Fax: 205-391- 2658